Speak Everywhere (SE), developed in the Center for Technology-Enhanced Language Learning in the School of Languages and Cultures at Purdue University, is an online oral practice/instruction/assessment platform for foreign language teaching. It dramatically increases your students' oral practice opportunities by making it possible to give speaking homework.
- Instructor prepares online oral exercises on SE
- Instructor assigns exercises to students
- Students access SE via internet and work on the exercises
- Instructor listens to students' oral submissions and grades them and gives feedback in audio/text
- Exercises can be used as oral tests (to be taken either in a computer lab or at home)
- Authoring requires no computer programming. If you can edit images and video clips, the rest is a matter of filling in online forms.
Major features and benefits:
- For instructors and content designers
- Use user-friendly templates in the author mode to quickly prepare oral exercises for students
- Prompts can be videos, audio, images, photos, and/or text (The default is video.)
- Many exercise formats are available, such as repeat after the instructor, Q&A, structure drills, flashcards, role-play, describe an image/photo/video, etc.
- Exercises can also be used as oral tests either to take in a computer lab or at home
- Assign/unassign exercises at will
- Assigning basic oral exercises as homework frees up more time in class for communicative activities
- Listen to each student's oral response to each exercise item
- Give feedback in text and/or audio
- For students
- Practice speaking a lot more than before
- Practice in the privacy of their home or anywhere else as long as internet is available
- Practice individually at their own pace on their own schedule
- Listen to their own production and the model side-by-side for self-assessment
For a more detailed description, read this article:
Fukada, A. "An Online Oral Practice/Assessment Platform: Speak Everywhere," The IALLT Journal, 43:1 (2013) 64-77.